In 2015, PCYC launched a $10 million campaign to renovate and expand the Capri Theater. With over $6.2M raised to date, the Capri is on track to open in 2020 with 20,000 square feet of new spaces that complement the classic, original Capri Theater, including:
- A renovated theater auditorium with all new seating.
- A Best Buy Teen Tech Center providing access to hands-on tech education for young people.
- A Great Hall for performances and community events of all kinds.
- A woodshop, metal shop and fabric shop that expand maker-space capabilities.
- Additional classrooms and multi-purpose spaces for youth and community use.
- New public green space with a bike-friendly outdoor plaza.
A Message from the Capri Teaching Artists
Over the years we’ve watched the transformation of the Capri from a hollowed out theater with creaky old seats to a highly regarded venue for students, emerging artists, established performers and audiences.
This hasn’t been a mere transformation of the theater space. As teachers and performers at the Capri we see, every day, the life-changing, disparity-bursting, pride-building potential of this place.
That’s why completing the Capri Rennaisance is important to us. We know what this space was meant to be and what we can accomplish here.
Upgrading the Capri to a fully functioning theater with appropriate amenities and more classrooms will make an enormous difference to our students and teachers, our neighbors and fellow artists. And when we bring up the full contingent of lights on West Broadway many more people will come from far and wide to Be @ the Capri in North Minneapolis.
Please join us now to support and complete the Renaissance of this extraordinary place. Thank you.
T. Mychael Rambo